What is a “Certified Family Law Specialist”?
Only attorneys certified by the Board of Legal Specialization of the State Bar of California may represent themselves as Family Law Specialists certified by the State Bar of California.
Attorney Stephane Quinn and Attorney David Dworakowski have both been designated as “Certified Family Law Specialists” by the California Bar Association.
To qualify as a Certified Family Law Specialist an attorney must:
- Be an active member in good standing of the State Bar of California.
- Pass a written examination covering all aspects of California Family.
- Have substantial experience in the field of Family Law.
- Complete specified approved legal education requirements applicable to the Family Law field.
- Be favorably evaluated by judges and other attorneys concerning his or her knowledge, ability and experience in the practice of Family Law.
- Certification by the Board of Legal Specialization is for a five-year period. Recertification for additional five-year periods does not require further examination but does require continuing compliance with other listed standards such as reporting 36 hours of educational compliance every three years. Certification gives lawyers the opportunity to make their experience and practice specialty known to the public and other attorneys. By continued compliance with the listed requirements, a Certified Family Law Specialist maintains and improves his or her knowledge and competence in the Family Law field.
- Names and addresses of all Board Certified Family Law Specialists may be obtained from the office of the Board of Legal Specialization, State Bar of California. 180 Howard Street, San Francisco, CA 94105-1639, [email protected] or via phone at 415-538-2120. Specialist status is also noted on the State Bar’s website in the Attorney Search.
- Certified Family Law Specialist note their certification on all legal pleadings with the abbreviation “CFLS,” after their names.
Only attorneys board certified in family law can advertise or identify themselves as “certified specialists” in California for that field.