Fraud Blocker

Irvine Move Away Lawyer

Irvine Move Away Lawyer

Irvine Move Away Attorney

Moving and relocation are often a necessity for families in Irvine, CA, but the situation can become more complicated for a separated couple. Parents who have a custody arrangement for their children must follow certain court procedures when planning to move. If their co-parent objects to the relocation, then the moving parent must get approval from the court to relocate with their children. The court holds the child’s interests as its main priority when making any decision involving children.

This is a fairly complex legal issue that can be emotionally upsetting for many families. Even when both parents disagree, they may be genuinely defending their child’s interests. A relocation can even lead to a modification of child custody. Working with an attorney is often important to advocate for your interests during a relocation request.

Irvine Move Away Lawyer

Quinn & Dworakowski, LLP: Irvine Move Away and Relocation Attorneys

Our attorneys can help your family, whether you are filing a request for relocation or contesting a relocation in Irvine and the Orange County area. At Quinn & Dworakowski, LLP, we have over 40 years of experience representing families in family court. We know how much these cases mean to your family and how the outcome can affect your life. That’s why we use that experience to fight for your and your child’s interests. We want to help protect your family’s future and fight for the ideal outcome of your relocation case.

California and Court-Approved Relocation

If both parents have joint physical custody, either parent who wishes to relocate must prove that it is in the child’s interests and to their benefit.

Frequently, the parent requesting relocation is the sole custodial parent. They generally have the right to move with their child as long as they notify the other parent. However, if their co-parent disagrees with the relocation, they can file with the court to prove that the relocation is not in the child’s interests. A custodial parent can move with their child if:

  • Relocation does not affect the current parenting plan.
  • The custodial parent has given the non-custodial parent notice of the move.

However, a non-custodial parent can contest the relocation in court. The court will deny the custodial parent’s relocation request if it believes that:

  • The relocation will harm the child’s welfare and health.
  • The relocation will violate the child’s rights.

If the move is over a significant distance, a court may determine that it is not in the child’s interests.

Factors the Court Considers During a Relocation Request

The court reviews several aspects of your situation when deciding whether to grant a relocation request. This includes:

  • How Far Away the Relocation Is: A far-distance move away can impact existing child custody and visitation orders and a non-custodial parent’s ability to see their children frequently.
  • Stability of Custody: It’s considered to be in a child’s interests for a custody order to remain stable.
  • The Age and Health of a Child: Younger children may be less affected by a move, and the court may ask an older child how they feel about a move.

The court will also consider these factors:

  • The relationship between both parents and their child
  • If the child’s needs can be met in the new location
  • How cooperative and communicative both parents are with each other
  • If each parent can put their child’s needs first
  • The reason the parent is relocating
  • If the child will have access to support systems

How the court determines a relocation request is very dependent on your unique situation. A family law attorney can help you determine how the law is likely to impact your family.

How Does an Irvine Relocation and Move Away Attorney Benefit Me?

In many relocation cases, both parents are looking out for their child’s interests. However, there are cases where the custodial parent is moving to spite the non-custodial parent. They may want to prevent their co-parent from spending time with their children. Likewise, a non-custodial parent may also contest a move out of spite or to make things harder for their co-parent.

In any situation, your relocation case is going to be unique. The most effective way to petition the court and fight for your child’s interests is with an attorney experienced in family law. Your attorney can help you file your petition with the court. They can also ensure that you meet legal deadlines and consider all the options available to you.


Q: How Do I Get 50/50 Custody in California?

A: The court prefers when parents have joint custody of their children, but this requires a lot of work from both parents. A joint custody parenting plan is not always going to be a perfect 50/50 split. What’s important is that both parents cooperate on a co-parenting schedule that allows them both to spend significant time with their children. This shows that both parents are willing to work together for their child’s interests.

Q: What Is the Presumptive Right to Move Away?

A: A parent who has sole custody of a child has the presumptive right to move with that child. The court assumes that the parent and child can relocate and will determine how to change the custody order to reflect the move. The court may prevent the move if it believes it is harmful for the child or if the other parent can prove that the move is not in the child’s interests.

Q: What Can Terminate the Parental Rights of the Non-Custodial Parent in Orange County, California?

A: For a parent to be involuntarily stripped of their parental rights, the other parent must file with the court. They must prove that their co-parent is unfit to be a parent. There are several reasons that may be grounds for terminating parental rights. This includes:

  • Child abandonment
  • Felony conviction
  • Parental neglect or cruelty
  • A continued and frequent misuse of substances
  • The inability to provide for the child’s basic needs

Q: What Is a Good Reason to Relocate a Child in California?

A: Your relocation request must show how the move benefits your child. This may include improved educational opportunities, moving closer to a familial support system, or a job change that allows you to provide for your children. Wanting to be further away from your co-parent is a bad reason for a move and will make it less likely that the court grants your relocation. If your co-parent is dangerous or abusive, this needs to be proven in court. In that case, relocation can be beneficial for your child.

Contact Our Irvine Attorneys Today

At Quinn & Dworakowski, LLP, our attorneys have worked for more than 40 years supporting families during difficult cases. Contact us today to see how we can help with your relocation case.

Irvine Practice Areas

Family Law


domestic violence

Cohabitation Agreements

Postnuptial Agreement

Prenuptial Agreements

Legal Separation

Child Custody Visitation

child Support Modification

spousal Support

Restraining Orders

Property Division

Appeals & Writs Lawyer

Bankruptcy and Divorce

Complex Child Custody Disputes

Complex Divorce

Divorce Litigation

Divorce Mediation

High Net Worth Divorce

Interstate Child Custody

Post-Divorce Modification


Schedule Your Case Strategy

"*" indicates required fields

I Have Read The Disclaimer*
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

© Copyrights 2024 Quinn & Dworakowski LLP. All Rights reserved Disclaimer|Site Map|Privacy Policy

Digital Marketing By rize-logo